Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Here is my card

I was impressed with the idea that humans might have so many ideas, inventions, discoveries that they would experience a shortage of words to name everything.  I think it is in the book "Science: The Glorious Entertainment" by Jacques Barzun that I met that notion. I was reminded of the possibility just now as I looked up "calling cards" in Google.  The more recent item called a "calling card" is a small, wallet-sized piece of plastic with the formation needed to get a phone signal and make a call.  


I am writing here about a different item.  I am thinking of a small white card made of heavy paper or light cardboard with my email address and the name and web address of my blog.  I tried asking Google the question "What year did gentlemen callers leave their card?"  That question did get me answers along the line I was seeking.  I have never called, that is knocked on the door or pressed a doorbell button, and had a butler or maid answer, to say that the young lady is not at home or not receiving visitors or just doesn't want to see me.  I think that under some circumstances, if I had, the person might have said I could leave my card.  


I was led to this item:

Calling cards came into widespread use in the mid-1800s, when the middle class was trying to acquire a bit of an upper class finish, and when it became feasible for everyone to print up and carry around personalized bits of paper. They lingered for longer than you expect.Jan 6, 2016


Young People Used These Absurd Little Cards to Get Laid in the 19th ...

https://gizmodo.com › young-people-used-these-absurd-li..


And this one:

During the 1800's and early 1900's the practice of "calling" upon or visiting one's relatives, friends, and acquaintances was a middle and upper class social ritual governed by countless rules and traditions.Sep 7, 2008


The Gentleman's Guide to the Calling Card | The Art of ...

https://www.artofmanliness.com › articles › the-gentlem…


In the current time of scams and upsets and endless causes and oppositions, it can be awkward to mention that one writes daily about minutiae, books and scattered themes.  It can be awkwarder to persuade that you are not asking for money or a subscription.  So, the point of this blog post is to suggest to all and sundry to visit Vistaprint online and order some cards to carry with you.  They are inexpensive and can be accompanied by mouse pads, caps, shirts and pens!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby