Saturday, July 31, 2021

Friends leaving

One of the most notable aspects of being older is that long-standing relationships get ended by death.  There are other enders, too.  People move to be near their adult children or a medical center.  But until death comes, there remains the possibility of live or live-ish communication by email or phone or Zoom.  


It can seem that the world is falling apart since things aren't the way an older person is used to, and then some pillar of one's life goes and dies on you.  It is sad, knowing that you won't hear from that person again.  Well, you might but as time goes on, it is less likely there is a letter or a video you haven't seen, maybe multiple times.  It is motivating, maybe guiding you toward your own blog posts and photographs and memories.  If you get in touch with a mutual friend, you might reminisce about trips or comments or personality traits.  It is motivating too in that you can be driven to start smiling at younger neighbors and contacts while trying to get some younger friends.


Of course, that a pillar of your life can topple, exit, is sobering and maybe frightening.  Not only might you be rather alone, you too might exit.  My friend envisions me playing a harp in the sky but that doesn't ring true for me.  I do like harp music but I am musically illiterate and I don't know notes, tones or harmonies.  


I have heard that a difficulty conscious minds have is imagining their own cessation.  It helps me to focus on the millions of human lives that have been lived before my time and to see and feel that I don't know them or any of their details or stories.  So, I plan to join the unknowns and the absentees but I would appreciate it if you postpone any permanent departure until after mine.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby