Monday, June 14, 2021

How to get older

I read a couple of years back that the woman Byron Katie said that she was having the time of her life watching her body fall apart.  I admire that statement and the idea of paying interested attention to just how life, the body and its use unfold.  Yesterday, I read that Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American Supreme Court justice answered a reporter's question "What is wrong with you?" saying "What's wrong with me?  I am old and I am coming apart."  Today, I learned of the Nina Lorez Collins book "What Would Virginia Woolf Do?" subtitled "And Other Questions I Ask Myself as I Attempt to Age Without Apology".


I benefit from Marshall's picture of "coming apart" and Collins' "aging without apology."  I haven't actually done much coming apart but I have had a little of that, what with a few operations and surgical removal .  It seems more likely that parts approach failure or partial failure, like an engine that doesn't run as well as it used to since it has worn and torn.  I like reading of "aging without apology".   I want to be accepting of increasing limitations and decreasing capacities.  


Aging happens rather quietly and many of the effects are easily noticed until they add up a bit.  Birthdays may bring former abilities to mind when it becomes clear they have modified.  Wrinkles, balding, slumping posture, increasing weight seem to be decreasing my attractiveness.   I think I can quietly take pride in these achievements of aging but maybe I should apologize for not being young and spry.  It seems like a hard choice: keep aging or die.  I haven't died but it doesn't seem very promising so I guess I will continue to wrinkle and fatten.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby