Friday, June 25, 2021

Can I afford a subscription?

A bothersome condition is spreading all over and I am here to urge people to recognize and resist.  I refer to subscription-itis, also known as rentimia.  As I have mentioned before, some blogs are written to sell things.  Selling things is a human activity that has enriched people both by selling and by purchasing. If I buy a pound of rice from you, I get rice to eat and you get money.  Anything that can be used more than once, that is not consumed or exhausted by a single use might be rented.


I imagine our merchants and marketers can get quite imaginative about rentals and subscriptions.  Maybe you like our silverware.  You can rent it for a monthly fee which will be charged to the credit card account you give us.  Maybe you would like the shoes we sell.  You can rent them for a monthly fee that will be charged to the same account.  Come into the florist shop and we will furnish you with a nice bouquet for your table if you have a subscription with us.  We offer daisy subscriptions and violet subscriptions but you can upgrade to a rose subscription or to our premium all-flower level where you can have any flower in our shop.  


I don't want to rent an English-Finnish dictionary if I don't use it.  I am interested in a subscription to an internet signal but not in access to that high level space telescope or in a team of huskies.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby