Thursday, May 20, 2021

Guess what has been uncovered!

My friend Horace Davis alerted us to the film "Traces of the Trade".  It is the story of discovering that one's ancestors in the "deep North" of the US were the largest business in slave trading in US history.  This information coincides with an interest I have had lately.  Ancestor or not - and ultimately, we are all related, what about finding that a longtime hero of mine did something immoral and nasty?


Matthew 7:1 advises that I judge not, lest I be judged.  That I cast opinions on and about others is definitely something I should be restrained about.   However, I became convinced during the 1968 writing of my dissertation that humans make immediate judgments about just about everything just about instantly. Much of careful thinking, critical thinking, not-critical thinking, helpful thinking and useful thinking includes checking judgements, re-considering them from time to time.  


On many occasions large and small, extended and brief ones, too, I have found that an initial impression gets changed.  I think it does make sense to avoid judgments since I find so often that initial enthusiasm wanes or preliminary dislike changes to like.  I noticed when I was teaching that one class seemed to be peachy while another vinegary only to discover in a month or two that the peach had developed an unpleasant taste while the vinegar had become distinctly caramel-flavored. 


I'm not that enthusiastic about split-pea soup but I live with someone who is.  Over the many, many years she has had to influence and train me, I have learned about her enthusiasm for the stuff.  Now, I think of it with an added note of "Yay!" because she gets all positive and the feeling is contagious.  


Other aspects of evaluating lives and contributions are memory and attention span.  I can't remember all the things I have done, much less learn and remember all the meritorious or sinful things you have.  It is far more efficient to just forget the past and focus on what's happening now.  In the meantime, do what is good and skip what isn't.  There will be times when you err but it is still worthwhile to steer for the good.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby