Friday, February 5, 2021

What I used to know and what I know now

I thought of calling this post "knowledge transmission".  We get knowledge in many ways.  I know what I had from breakfast.  I know that President Biden gave a speech about US foreign policy yesterday.  I know that the branch of philosophy called "epistemology" is often considered the subject of what we know and how we know it.  


I have taught a course in (school) testing and grading many times.  Basically, that subject is about trying to verify that a given student knows what is supposed to be learned in school.  The most common way of testing a student is to require a written answer, sometimes a check mark by a multiple choice test answer, sometimes freer writing as in an essay.  Much less common is spoken language, as when being examined in an oral exam, where several people ask questions and pass judgment after an hour or so as to whether the answers have been satisfactory.  


I like to ask myself for each blog post, what I have done that day and what has been on my mind.  Walking around and breathing/drinking (coffee and tea, Sally) invariably involves new subjects and contacts.  Meanwhile, my head gets to thinking about Shonda Rhimes and Tim Page and the weather and what day of the week it actually is.  It is not just my fault.  I use the Firefox browser most of the time.  Just to see, I copied and pasted the links I have visited in that one browser just today and Excel said it comes to 102.  Not including repeat visits and reading of blog posts that came up in the search for "knowledge" and other terms.  


As we go through a day, Lynn or I will ask the other about a memory or an event.  We plan future events based on what happened on the last visit or what we remember of it.  Her memory often includes people, places and things I totally don't recall.  So far, I haven't found there is a country she says we visited that I completely forgot but places, events - plenty of those have evaporated.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby