Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Picking through the collection

My iPad has a Chrome app but also a "Google" app that is the same thing except that it seems connected to something or someone that sends me "cards", articles plus links that might be of interest.  One of the regular articles is a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon:

I have read that Bill Waterson stopped creating the cartoon in 1995 but there is an elaborate online site for seeing the Calvin cartoon of the day.  The idea of a massive archive of cartoons waiting to be parceled out by the day got me thinking of my archive of blog posts.  


I often think of my previous posts, currently over 3000 of them. https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/

Sometimes I look up a given date or search for mention of a topic in these daily writings.  


But my wife was a school librarian at both elementary and secondary schools and was an assistant professor of school librarianship.  She and other librarians are often faced with the task of "weeding", getting rid of items that are so popular their covers are falling off and need replacing (if the budget can support the purchase), getting rid of items that are badly out of date (the US job outlook for 1953), getting rid of items that have taken up precious shelf space for 38 years and never been checked out.  


"Housing the collection" may be a problem if it gets too large so the librarian keeps working to make the collection useful, attractive and valuable.

 

So, what about my collection of blog posts?  Historians and educators from the 25th century have urged me to keep every scrap of my writing - you know, for future analysis, comparison and humor.  As a statistician and evaluator, I am confident that a blog I write today is not the best of all the posts I have.  So, why not go through them all and select the best and re-post them?  Because the best today is not the one I select as outstanding tomorrow.  The news, the feel, the tone of a day is unpredictable until that day arrives.  But I am interested in what would be better, more accessible, more applicable than what I write today.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby