Friday, April 10, 2020

Busy, odd day

I had one online meeting today.  That shouldn't be hard. Ok, erratic snowfall, intense but brief, was predicted. That shouldn't be hard.  I did ask the yard guys to come and they showed up today. That should work out all right. Most of the world is dealing with the coronavirus-19 but our plans were built to accommodate the special ways of handling things.  


We talked and laughed at another marriage-under-stress list of jokes.  We do find that confinement and schedule limitation and activity cancellation puts a bit of a strain on us.  The online meeting was ok but it is a little difficult, especially the first few times a group uses it. There are many choices and options that the program, the computer and the individual have to deal with.  


I didn't know the yard guys, with their very loud machines, would be blowing leaves and debris right outside the window next to my online meeting. Their machines were so loud I had to mute myself online for a while.  The erratic snow came down in a whiteout, making it just about impossible to see. The men finished up and took off. 15 minutes after they were gone, the sun was out and the sky was blue, again.


Earlier today, I thought about the 2700 books I have in my Kindle.  I wondered what books I have had for 5 years that I haven't read. I found that it is not very easy to find just the books purchased five years ago.  While trying to find them, a software update took over the Kindle.


Getting to the five year old books, I ran into several others that struck my fancy.  Why wouldn't they? I chose them and paid for them. Between the ones I found getting back five years and those actually purchased in 2015, I made a list of 30 books.  That should keep me busy for a month or so.  


Furiously Happy


Hume: Very Short Introduction


Experimental Designs

Campbell and Stanley

In Search of Memory


Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream


Analyzing Decision Making


Genes: Very Short Intro


Knowledge: Very short Intro


Consciousness: Very Short Intro


Microbiology: Very Short Intro


Bacteria: Very Short Intro


Serengeti Rules


Bardisms


In Other Words

Jhumpa Lahiri

Breathing

Michael Sky

You Just Don't Understand

Deborah Tannen

The Great Spring

Natalie Goldberg

Upside of Irrationality

Ariely

Reeling through Life

Ison

Fast Food, Good Food

Andrew Weil

Trashed -

Backderf

Ceramic Arts of Great Britain


Knocking on Heaven's Door

Lisa Randall

Breathe through This

Snel

F in Exams

Benson

Essays after Eighty

Donald Hall

Sit Like a Buddha

Rinzler

A Little Bit of Everything for Dummies

John Wiley Co.

Return to Akenfield


The Science of Education

Sci. Am.

Unexpectedly Eighty

Viorst


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby