Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Meeting from home

I have spent plenty of time on instructional television and, separately, being video recorded for later release on public television.  The tv was teaching statistics. Can you imagine going to your television set at 6 AM on Sunday morning to learn statistics?


But my televised instruction did not take place from home.  Today, I participated in a "Zoom" meeting using Zoom software that let me see a small picture of each of 15 or 20 participants in the meeting, each of whom was also at their home. Today was my first experience that included a small child being hoisted onto Mom's lap.  Of course, I was charmed and waved, even though I probably was not seen. With enough images on the screen, the situation is somewhat like a page from "Where's Waldo?" Can you find me in the mass? Have you seen the visual jokes of Waldo alone since the mass of people are staying home to avoid the virus?


Some people kept themselves electronically muted to try and leave bandwidth for good sound.  So, today was my first experience where a participant signalled agreement by nodding affirmatively.  I have found in the past that the audio was more important for education and conversation than the visual.  But I experienced the advantages of gestures as a college wrestler at Gallaudet University for the deaf. Their coach could use signs to advise a guy in trouble while our coach had to try to make himself heard over the cheering and booing.  


One of the participants stated that "everything is on You-Tube."  I have found that to be the case. It is not easy to think of a subject that is not touched on in one video or another.  If you are interested in using the Zoom software, you can search "Zoom" on You-Tube and find many videos about the program.  Zoom seems to have a gripe on several markets right now 

but there are other possibilities.

https://www.howtogeek.com/663413/the-best-work-from-home-apps-for-iphone-and-android/



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby