Saturday, October 19, 2019

Re-run words

Zen teachers, counselors and psychologists often counsel facing one's emotions.  It is not always easy to do that. If my impulse is to stuff the feeling under the rug, to more or less ignore my feeling as shameful or dangerous or inappropriate, I can look the other way for quite a long time.  However, people who work on such matters tend to say that "sitting with" a feeling or a dread or an itch tends to be the fastest and most secure way to deal with internal states that are upsetting.  


It is easier for me to remember the advice than to practice it but I keep trying.  Suppose I am hungry but don't want to eat yet. The nerves that send communication around the body tend to send me an eating impulse every once in a while, sometimes a short while and sometimes longer.  I use the mnemonic "Don't run" to remind myself that facing and accepting and experiencing is often more effective than ignoring or cussing at myself.


I have 3,646 posts in this blog.  I usually want to avoid saying the same old thing or harping on the same ideas over and over.  So, in preparing the post for yesterday, I used the handy search window on the blog web page in the upper left corner https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/ to try to see what I had written previously about facing problems and sitting with them consciously.  I posted "Don't run" and used the title and text as is from a previous day, January 4, 2017. I did get a couple of compliments on yesterday's words and no one accused me of plaigarizing myself.  


I don't have any strong commitment to never repeating myself.  Thinking about re-using words and phrases, I think of mantras, principles and Biblical quotes.  Some language bears repeating when appropriate. I have often quoted Psalms 100:3 "It is He that hath made us and not we ourselves".  I like the very short poem by Ogden Nash:

If called by a panther

Don't anther.


Sometimes, I am asked if I will print my blog in a paper book format.  One company said that it is too long for their software. So, I often use that search window to see what I have said on a given subject or the date list in the lower left corner to see what I wrote on a given day.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby