Friday, June 14, 2019

Muscles and all

I run three times a week unless a vacation or an injury interferes.  Ten years ago, I ran 2.5 miles each time. Now, I run ½ a mile with two walks included.  The walks are about one lot width, one driveway to the next. I do also have two bursts, each about 2 lots long. This area of the state is flat.  There are a few rolling hills but not anything very steep.


There is one very slight hill on the route I run.  I roughly estimate the steepness to be around 12°. During the winter ice and snow, I don't run outside.  Either a treadmill or a stationary bike has to suffice. So, getting back into some shape during spring is somewhat tough.  At first, I walked up some of that slight hill. Now, I can run up and over. I am not Usain Bolt

but I can feel that the legs are getting stonger and the running is getting easier.  I want to stress my heart enough so that it gets a bit of a workout but not overstress it.  


After a day that includes a run, I don't feel exhausted or listless.  Today, along with the run, I walked 2.5 miles with friends and I lifted weights.

I urge my friends to lift some weights but I don't think they do.  Just holding 30 lbs, maybe two 15 lb. barbells, can do wonders for thigh and overall leg strength when standing from a crouch or a chair.  I usually lift 8-12 times.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby