Saturday, November 10, 2018

Signals and pictures

I had in mind to write about signals, especially wireless signals that fill our house and enable devices to connect to the internet wherever we are in the building.  They are on my mind since Prof. Buchman of the UWSP music department talked to our learning in retirement group, "L.I.F.E." about music streaming services such as Spotify.  He pointed out that in the 1920's and 30's, the only streaming service was the radio disc jockey who played a song you liked. You might be able to phone him on the job and request a given song, but that was it.  


Now, we have

Which streaming music service is right for you?

  • Apple Music.

  • Spotify.

  • Pandora.

  • Google Play Music.

  • Groove Music.

  • Amazon Prime Music and Music Unlimited.

  • SoundCloud.

  • [And quite a few others not listed here]


There is quite a bit about these services I have yet to find out about and I will get to learning more over time.


However, this morning as I signed on to my Acer Windows machine, this image came up:


I spent quite a bit of time trying to understand how to get more information on what it is, where it is and how to do similar inquiries in the future.  I did learn that Windows 10 has a setting on personalization and that the pictures that appear from all over the world are part of a feature called Windows Spotlight.  


I haven't mastered how to quickly and easily find information about the picture but I did learn that a park of islands and water areas in Thailand called Koh Tarutao in the scene shown.  I was able to copy the picture shown and paste it in the Microsoft browser called Bing.


Evidently, on the rock pictured or nearby, there is a prison which was entirely dependent on regular food deliveries from the mainland.  As the invading Japanese had more and more difficulty in WWII doing all the things that they had taken over, both the prisoners and the guards fell to piracy just to survive.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby