Thursday, August 9, 2018

What is the date today?

We like peaches but they don't grow well in Wisconsin. But every once in a while, a peach truck from down South comes around and we eagerly buy some.  This morning, Lynn drove down to where the truck was going to be. I volunteered to go with her. We got to the parking lot but no truck. Maybe it is at the other location: one on the 9th and one on the 10th.


Every road in just about every direction is undergoing major construction so it takes a while to get anywhere.  No truck at the other location. While Lynn drove, I used her phone to use Google to see what was up. Maybe we were a few minutes too early when we checked first.  Slog through orange signs, guys in helmets and sweat and large moving cranes back to the other location. Definitely not too early now. Still no truck. Well, maybe the truck is delayed.  It is supposed to be in town tomorrow, too. Let's just complete our other errands and try tomorrow.


Then, she asked, "What is the date today?"  I said it is the 9th, looking at my watch. Then, "No, it is the 8th."  She said,"That's the problem, then! We are a day early!" This, after checking several postings to look up the location and hour while ignoring the announced date.  


Sure, you can question my reading, my alertness.  You can mention my age and my hearing. But, don't forget: I am the guy who carried a pair of shoes to the shoemaker (what's a shoemaker?) and arrived with only one of them. That was in the 4th grade.  How have I managed to survive all these decades? Stay alert! We need more lerts!


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby