Thursday, August 23, 2018

Mousing through life

I noticed that what with ads, hundreds of tv channels, millions of blogs and web sites, it is easy to feel that we are swamped with information.  Often it is exciting information that we are glad to learn about. But that's the way it goes: click into Org Z and get some WOW info. Then, tomorrow or the next day (no hurry), what about checking out what Z has to say.  Pretty soon, we have the habit of checking Z. The people who collect the information there are professionals. They know a good item when they find one. They write great headlines so when we think of checking out Z, it difficult to accept the inclination to skip it today.  That book, the garden weeds, the groceries we need are all calling for help. I want to be good. I want to get those weeds, we do need more bread. How about just a quick peek?


Ninety minutes later, I notice the time, I notice that I have again gotten lured into a little of this and some of that.  Sure, I know more about the flooding and the earthquake but the weeds, the weeds, the book and the other book and the groceries.  So, I am not only swamped with information that is laid out in a habit-forming way, I am cooperating in being force-fed habit-forming drugs.  To top it off, I am cooperating with the whole deal!


More and more, I have to be firm, even nasty with myself.  Turn aside from drinking the wine of habit, the juice of excitement mixed with titillation.  I sometimes require an internet fast, a break from screens, all screens. Take a bike ride, go lift some weights, buy those groceries, get those weeds.  Once I turn away from the latest headline, I don't miss it. I find there is a bright world out there that is happy to have me. My tired eyes, my mouse-shaped hand thank me.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby