Friday, May 11, 2018

Thnaks!

In my blog and on Facebook, sometimes on Twitter, I am reluctant to end a sentence with a period.  It seems so blunt and final. I feel that I can pep things up a bit by ending with an exclamation point but I have made so many exclamations that I am afraid my exclamation key will break!  Then where would I be?


You may be familiar with the oral punctuation that Victor Borge uses in some of his nutty performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJiHlt8NRqk


Punctuation can be over done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't overdo it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just do the right amount, ok ?


There are similar extremes to be avoided when speaking or reading aloud.  Some people (I won't mention any particular genders) can overdo the warmth, expressiveness and enthusiasm they actually feel.  Listening to too much pleasure and animation in the voice can be tiring for an old man. A little modulation, sure. But try to avoid taking me up and down ski hills at top speed.  I may get dizzy and fall.


Take as your guide the professional narrators, such as you can hear on Audible.com's downloaded stories.  They do use expression in their voices but not to the distraction of the listener. I think we are entering a time when expressing emotions is honored and expected. These days, even a superhero like Rambo needs to engage his thinking, his voice and his face and not just mutter: "Back there...thanks" when a beautiful Vietnamese agent rescues him from enemy captivity by gunning down several of the enemy.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby