Monday, March 5, 2018

Did you get my message?

It is fairly easy to think we know how to contact people.  Send an email.  Send a text.  Put a message on Facebook.  What's email?  What's a text?  What's Facebook?  There are many ways to not get the message.


I don't use email.  I get too much of it so I don't use it.  You have my email address, in fact, you have all three of them.  But I don't check my email.  All I ever get is junk and I am sick of it.


I am charged for each text I send.  I don't think of texting.  It sounds like "sexting".  I don't know what sexting is but I don't want to do it, whatever it is.  The people I want to invite have never mentioned text messages and I don't think they get them.  (I use Google Voice, which is free and available on any device connected to the internet because all my contacts and their phone numbers are immediately available to Voice from Gmail.)  I only have landline numbers for some people and their phones can't handle text messages. I cleverly obtained a separate Google Voice phone number that is not my landline nor my cellphone.  Sometimes, I send a text but the recipient doesn't recognize the number and assumes it was mis-sent by a stranger. It gets trashed unopened.


I am not on Facebook.  It was hacked by the Russians.  I am a patriot American and I don't like kids' stuff. I tried Facebook but I found that as I scrolled down (what is scrolling?), the posts entered in clumps, jumping to the bottom of a group of messages.  Then, I had to backtrack to where I was before the jump.  Sometimes, I miss something and I often repeat something I have already read.  


I can't understand why people don't get my message.  I do understand that some people get so many messages, they don't have time or energy to read them all.  My older friends sometimes open the message, read it, understand it and forget they have read it.  Some people put the time and day of the meeting on their calendar.  Don't get me started on calendars.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby