Tuesday, October 17, 2017

This business of being human

The title of this post is suggested by the famous poem by Rumi (1207-1273).  I don't usually get to write dates in the 1200's.  The poem is usually called "The Guest House" and my friend mentioned it the other day.  It is referred to more often in writings I read than any other poem by that poet and it basically says to welcome what comes along in life and learn to appreciate it.  The poem can be found here

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=guest+house+by+rumi&oq=Guest+house+by&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l9j0i22i30k1.2865.8460.0.10986.25.20.4.0.0.0.182.2218.0j18.18.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..3.22.2298.0..46j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i20i264k1j0i20i264i46k1j46i20i264k1j0i46k1j0i10k1.0.F2ghteXln4A

If that link is a bit too long and complicated, use this shortened version made at Goo.gle, the Google shortener: https://goo.gl/QMwrGA


As meditation and mindfulness, secular or part of any religion or spiritual activity becomes more and more recognized for the valuable tool that they are, our society, with its free expression and its critical thinking, naturally turns to examining the practice of meditation and the conscious awareness of how our minds are being used.  Criticism, doubt, ridicule emerge as well as salutation, application and realization of the value of 10 minutes a day.


I suppose in Rumi's day, quiet, boredom and dullness were a major problem.  They can certainly still be so today, too, but social media, new gadgets, faster news delivered in more frightening or even misleading forms, endless swarms of medical procedures guaranteed to make me young, strong and handsome create forces that can overwhelm me.


I agree with my friend and with the poet that welcoming all comers and all events and even all challenges can make for an enhanced, engaged, enriched life, up to a point.  Too many people, too many deals, too much activity, even overwhelming fright, joy or thrills and I may have to shut my door for a while.  It is still my job to watch over me and keep myself in balance.  From the ancients to today, a little moderation is still a good idea.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby