Friday, October 20, 2017

Multidimensional

I try to use regular writing to stay aware of my life, internally and externally.  I have a tendency to go through life focused on the moment, which can be good.  But, stopping daily to ask what's on my mind can allow me to continue thinking about something, to keep on reading in a subject or story, to notice what is going on, good and not so good.  I usually find five themes that seem current, not too repetitious, not too scandalous, not too technical, not too boring.  Then, I pick the one from the bunch that seems to be most inspiring and write it up.


Here are five for today:

  1. I don't feel attracted to today's date.  It is the 19th. That seems like a dull, nondescript number, doesn't it?  Of course, if it is your birthday or the anniversary of your marriage, if it's payday or the day when you get the job you wanted, that 19 may well stand out.

  2. Attention!  It is quite elastic and zoomey.  You can pay attention to a mountain or to a tiny spot.  You can pay attention to something imaginary like Tom Sawyer or to your picture of what tomorrow will be like.

  3. Worn-out overdone themes in my writing.  When I am deeply interested in 1954 Chevrolet cars and you are not, my constant reference to them, my comments about them, my loving memories of adventures in them, etc., etc., can get you fed up.  I want to be accessible and not too boring, although I am not sure why.

  4. "It's all me time" - Karen Maezen Miller is a Zen teacher and writer.  Her blog post "What happens on retreat" http://karenmaezenmiller.com/happens-on-retreat/ includes a mention that she came to realize that all her time is "me time" and it is, of course.  It is handy to be able to recall that judgments, fears, happiness and sadness come from ourselves.

  5. Breathing as a mental focus, as a refuge from fantasy and effortful cogitation and complex planning and hoping.  I used to sneer at too much focus on breathing but I am changing my mind about its importance with books such as "Conscious Breathing" by Hendricks.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby