Saturday, October 29, 2016

YouTube

You can have your own YouTube channel for free.  You may not want one or you may be like me, and make a video with your iPad.  It runs for less than one minute and it is completely forgettable.  You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUP_6IFyXzA&list=UU62YVzQb-lNCLUJ7R2EUrng


There is a 2nd video of Lynn letting our greatgrandson chase bubbles.  That guy is 6 ft and weighs about 170 now so you know it is old.  Knowing that there are channels helps you find other videos made by the same person.  If you go to YouTube and you have subscribed to my channel (Don't bother.  Find something better.), the new 'posts' would be suggested for viewing.


I bring up the channels business to alert you to one of the features of YouTube.  I posted yesterday a link that led to a Google Think article about YouTube getting more viewers 18 and older during prime time of the day than any cable network.  I know a young woman who posts videos in her native tongue and has 65,000 fans who have subscribed to her YouTube channel.


I went to a presentation today about similarities and differences between Baby Boomers and Millennials.  A major difference is the higher and more continuous use of computers and electronics by the younger set.  However, they don't just use more technology, they use different technology.  One of the items in yesterday's post emphasizes that today's young people have their own favorites that are making their own videos about whatever and today's young people take the time to watch them.


That same big fella I mentioned above asked me if he could show me something.  Of course, I said yes.  He showed me the Adam Ruins Everything segment on gerrymandering.  I had never heard of Adam, despite his big following and the clarity of his video on gerrymandering.  I am like the lady in the video who says"Gerrymandering - that's a word I have heard and I hate it but I have no idea what it means."  Watch the segment and you will know what it means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd5rul6EdF0


YouTube is an American video-sharing website headquartered in San Bruno, California, United States. The service was created by three former PayPal employees in February 2005. In November 2006, it was bought by Google for US$1.65 billion.


Whatever you are interested in, check it in YouTube.  Any music, any subject might be there. This individualized television, as opposed to "broadcasting", which has been part of our national life for about a century when you consider both radio and tv, is an important source of knowledge and explanation.  When my greatgrandson showed me the Adam Ruins Everything videos on both gerrymandering and the electoral college, I just assumed he had seen them in his high school history of the US class.  But no, he found them on his own last summer.  Try going to youtube.com for a video on any subject of interest. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby