Sunday, July 6, 2014

Spanish, Finnish and a little Russian

I realize that the larger portion of humanity does not speak English.  I realize I dropped the ball when I let so many years go by without learning a 2nd, 3rd and additional languages.  I imagine I would be so much smarter and better able to understand and enjoy others if I learned a language in addition to my native tongue.


English is a good language to know at this time and I have heard that even some very proud speakers of other languages are pushing English on their children.  It seems to be a good language on the internet, in many businesses, etc.  However, I respect the fact that other languages pop up. 


Just today, I wondered about the actual statement somewhere in Pascal's writings where he has been said to have written that all of mankind's troubles stem from an inability to sit quietly in a room.  Here is a relevant quote:

Diversion.—When I have occasionally set myself to consider the different

distractions of men, the pains and perils to which they expose themselves at court or in war, whence arise so many quarrels, passions, bold and often bad ventures, etc., I have discovered that all the unhappiness of men arises from one single fact, that they cannot stay quietly in their own chamber.

Pascal, Blaise (2012-05-12). Pascal's Pensées (Kindle Locations 882-885).  . Kindle Edition.


I note that he did not write "sit" and he did not mention "alone".  I can't find a clear reference to who did the translation but as is often the case, the act of translating enters into the story.  

I think there are something like 5000 current languages and although I have had a little instruction in French, German, Spanish and Chinese, I am actually unable to communicate in anything but English.  Still, with the internet and social media, it is only to be expected that other languages are going to pop up. So far, living in a small city in a northern US state, I have run into few actual uses of a foreign language but those meetings have been recent and may, for one reason or another, increase.


My main meeting with other languages so far have been in connection with Twitter.  A professor in Spain recently wrote to me in Spanish.  I used Google Translate to see what he wrote but I was able to guess the meaning beforehand.  Google Translate gave me confidence that I understood.  I have seen some Scandinavian tweets that are not in English but there didn't seem especially relevant to me. I am interested in Ted Walker, an American teacher, blogger and Tweeter who teaches in Finland and that interest has led me to connections with a few Finns but so far,they write in English.  I recently ran into what I think is a Romanian app but it appeared to be written in Russian, but I am not sure of that.


So far, Google Translate and the politeness of strangers has been enough.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby