Monday, July 14, 2014

Sleeping better: science, books, apps, clinics

I found the book "The Universal Sense" by Seth Horowitz, PhD in a Barnes and Noble store.  Knowing that I had a better chance of reading it on Kindle, I bought it in Kindle format from Amazon.com.  I read the whole book with interest. Horowitz said that some animals are born with no eyes or sensitivity to light but none are born without ears or some sensitivity for vibration (sound).  As is often the case, when I read an author who seems to have valuable ideas and the habit of expressing them well, I follow them on Twitter if I can.  In some document I read, Horowitz mentioned that he and associates were working on an app for iPhones and iPads to promote better sleeping.  Later, I found an app associated with him, "Sleep Genius".  It comes in iPhone form so if you search on iPad's app store, you won't find it unless you set the results for iPhone.


The main idea of the app is simply to play tones and notes that are scientifically likely to promote sleep.  I like what I have seen and read of Horowitz and I downloaded the free version of the app.  I started using it while Lynn was away.  I was impressed at how it gave me something to listen to, something to concentrate on that seemed to induce sleep and direct my mind away from arousing or exciting or gripping subjects.  I definitely felt that I reached a deeper, more relaxed state more quickly and completely listening to the app.


I wrote in this blog several times about sleep apnea and sleeping in a hospital sleep center while being watched on camera and taped.  Sleeping difficulties are not unusual when getting older.  Between my family's habits and my experience in teaching 5th grade, I could see early on that getting a good night's sleep was very important not only for strength and health, but for personality and mood, too.


I like the app enough that I upgraded recently to the paid version ($4.99).  There is also a version for babies.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby