Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Laying it on

I am interested in the power of the mind to affect my body, my mood and my life.  I recently worked on arranging for a professor of psychology to speak on the subject of placebos.  Quite a lot of research has been conducted on placebos, including what color is most effective for what ailment or condition.  I also found the book "You Are the Placebo".


I get weekly summaries of his blog from Eric Barker.  He tends to take popular topics and link them to specific books and authors.  This week's summary emphasized the research and results of optimism.  Being optimistic is not easy.


The media work hard to keep us frightened and worried.  The schools work hard to teach critical thinking, which is approximately the same as skeptical, doubtful thinking.  Our own minds and mirrors work hard to convince us we are too fat and too wrinkled and getting more so.  Our clocks and calendars work steadily to demonstrate that hours and years are evaporating out of our lives.


Here is a link to what to do about these downers.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby