Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Backs and sitting

Quite a few people have back trouble.  I want to restate that several people in the area of fitness and senior health have emphasized research that says that sitting is overdone and that it can be helpful and healthful to stand or walk more.  This blog post is about the exercises a physical therapist prescribed for me.  Between doing them daily in less than 10 minutes, walking more and standing at my computer more, I haven't had a back problem for just about three years.


On the subject of sitting too much, I benefited from the AARP bulletin article "Sitting is the new smoking".  It can be awkward to stand in a restaurant or at a family dinner but doing so is better than a bad backache.  I used to visit a chiropractor every couple of months and I haven't had to do that since following the few yoga type exercises linked above.


The best book I have seen on modern adult exercise is "The First Twenty Minutes: Surprising Science Reveals How We Can Exercise Better, Train Smarter, Live Longer" by Gretchen Reynolds, who also writes on exercise and health for the New York Times.  The book is available in Kindle format for immediate downloading for $8.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby