Tuesday, February 14, 2012

New eyes

Sitting on the 7th floor above the Gulf of Mexico, I sat in almost the same spot 3 years ago.  Then, I was entranced by the ocean, its changing mood, big waves sometimes, lake-like at others.  Pelicans and sea gulls constantly troll for food.  Dolphins arc their backs out of the water every now and them.  Those features beguile me again, now,  since I wasn't here last year.

I read aloud to Lynn often and we like stories the most, although "The Willpower Instinct" and "Confessions of a GP" are good, too.  We read a story of a Swedish woman detective by Helen Thursten.  We read a Myron Bolitar story and Wife of the Gods by Dr. Kwei Quartey.  So, to be ready with further stories when we finish what we are reading now, I downloaded another Thursten, Bolitar by Coben* and Quartey stories.  Four years ago, tired of the space and bookshelf problems of books, I switched to Kindle ebooks.

A few minutes ago, with the sun trying to warm us past the 30 degree mark, I downloaded the three new books into my Kindle.  Four years ago, I was so beguiled by getting books through the atmosphere that I did it for fun.  I couldn't get over it.  Now, it is old-hat, yesterday's news, in the words of a current commercial, "so 17 seconds ago".  

I am interested in differences and similarities between meditation and hypnosis.  I asked a hypnotist friend to give me a session since I had never been officially hypnotized.  (She always says that when you come out of a movie and need a little time to stop being a medieval knight, you experienced hypnosis then. She asked what I wanted to get out of the session.  I didn't need to stop smoking.  I said I'd like to see my life, surroundings, friends and relatives with new eyes.  

I think that animals need their circuits, their senses, which are wired for novelty.  What is new can be dangerous.  It might be a threat.  That means that we, too, are oriented toward the new and hence, away from what we have already experienced.  Even though we don't, we think we know our mate, our house, our neighborhood.  Because a book has been on that shelf for years, we think we know it but we don't.  Because those pictures have been in a box in the garage for years, we think we know which ones we have but we don't.  We often need to renew our ideas, our eyes.  To get back some of the fun, re-view, re-see, re-experience, re-remember.

*tried some it a little bit ago and it's not so good

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby