Monday, December 27, 2010

trying to be enough

Here is a nice quote from "Hand Wash Cold", the Zen book by Karen Miller.  Amazon.com has just enabled it and other ebooks to be given as gifts, whether or not the recipient has a Kindle.

I thought if I grew up, did my best, and made everyone proud of me, it would be enough. I thought if I got a good job, got a better job, made money, and then made even more money, it would be enough. I thought if I could lose ten pounds, get a better haircut, get the right jeans, then lose the same ten pounds, it would be enough. I thought if I could understand, explain, and express my feelings well enough, it would be enough. I thought if I wished, hoped, dared, or dreamed enough, then it would finally be enough. Then I thought: enough. I practice being enough. When I do that, everything is already enough, and this is the day I've been saving for.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby