Thursday, December 23, 2010

Good movies at home

Our first television had a 10 inch screen.  That is measured diagonally so neither the height nor the width was that big.  One of these days, we are going to buy some new tv that has wiring or something that allows us to see the internet on the tv.  We don't want it too big and we don't want people distorted into being wider than they really are.  I am interested in this because I thought that transmission of movies via the internet would be quicker and cheaper than getting DVD's in the mail.  I imagine Netflix notes that comparison, too, since they have recently started offering a membership that is half the price we pay for up to two discs borrowed at a time.  

Recently, I wanted to show my friends one of my two favorite movies.  "The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!" is one and that is widely available in multiple formats.  But the other one, "In the Spirit" is much less widely known.  I couldn't even find it in the Netflix collection.  I did find it in the Amazon.com movie collection.  I downloaded the movie and have it on this computer.  

So, I can watch it (for maybe the 12th time) on this monitor if I want.  This monitor is considerably larger than that first tv and has a good picture.  Lynn's is even bigger but a good tv might be even nicer, especially placed in the living room instead of the office.  We recently watched "Arranged" on a Netflix DVD.  It is about two young Brooklyn teachers, one a devout Muslim and the other an Orhodox Jew, both of whom are about to have their marriages arranged for them by their parents, just as their parents did when they were young.  

I have seen figures and comments that arranged marriages still take place for a very large part of the current human population and that such marriages have a lower divorce rate than Western ones created by those getting married.

I just began watching Arranged on this monitor.  It was easy and quick.  I think I will reserve the Google browser Chrome for movie watching and leave my no-trace-left-behind settings on Firefox for everyday browsing.


We also watched and enjoyed "Departures" on a Netflix DVD.  It is the story of a young Japanese cellist whose orchestra is dissolved for financial reasons.  Out of work, he takes a job with a special sort of Japanese carer of the dead.  It is moving, inspiring and respectful of death.  A good movie.

In case you are not one of the 24 million people who have already seen this YouTube video, here is a 5 minute movie you can watch now for free of an exciting moment in the food court of a mall.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby