Voice
You may know Alexa and Siri. They are mechanical devices, not people. When a potter is deep into clay, it is handy to be able to speak to a “smart” device and have it stay quiet a while or switch stations. There are other situations where it is preferable to be able to speak rather than take some hand action. Receptive devices are getting more widespread and their list of abilities is lengthening. Voice depends on transmission and reception.
As a person with poor hearing, I may want my smart speaker to be louder than you do. I only speak English so I don’t want to have to speak one of the many other languages that exist. I don’t have wonderful handwriting and I make mistakes every few strokes typing so speaking can be an advantage. I haven’t tried using a smart speaker in a noisy environment but I suppose it might not work too well.
<< Home