Friday, November 17, 2017

What women and girls are good for

They are good for everything. In fact, there is some question if they have left a fair amount for boys and men to be good for.  You may be aware that they are central in the continued existence of our species.  Beyond that, there are all sorts of areas of society that women and girls are advancing in.  You name it: dentistry, police, science, technological invention and production, politics.  Look into it and you will probably find women and girls on the march in that area, too.  


Here in town, we have some outstanding young athletes.  One of them is a swimmer who has been setting records.  A photo of her beaming appeared in the paper.  I went to throw out old newspapers and her smile again leaped off the page.  I wanted to thank the sports photographer for that excellent picture.  I looked up the photo and of course, I was met by pictures of young women athletes.  It may be because I am an elderly man that all those bright smiles affect me so deeply and so immediately.  I could feel good health shooting into me.


I was impressed years ago while reading "The Face of Battle" by John Keegan to learn that ancient generals found that they needed to keep women away from the battlefields if they wanted to keep the troops' attention on fighting.  Just a glance at a girl or woman could turn the soldiers away from the task of gutting each other. Just yesterday, I attended a talk on De Waal's book "The Bonobo and the Atheist".  We may not want to go the lengths the bonobos do using sex to quiet and soothe. And, it is isn't fair to task women and girls with the responsibility for keeping the spirits of all humans up.  Males have the responsibility and tools to work on their own spirits and moods.  But, it does seem that women and girls have special powers to brighten the day.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby