Friday, October 27, 2017

Then and now

When I had my first job, not counting delivering newspapers, I worked as a page in the main Baltimore library.  I must have gotten paid then but I don't remember having a bank account.  My greatgrandson has his first job and is now putting money into his bank account.  


I can't remember much about my initial banking experience but I do remember that an account with a saving book or a checkbook or both was a big deal.  It was also about the whole deal.  Going with him to the bank made me think about automatic deposit, keeping track of my money on a spreadsheet, having the bank pay bills for me, both on a regular basis and on a pay as needed basis.  I do things online but online with a computer is so last century.  I don't use their app on my iPad and I don't scan checks and send an electronic image to the bank.  I don't actually use cash very much since I pay by credit card and pay the card bill regularly.  


Of course, the life of a 77 year old man is different from that of a 17 year old but citizen banking is quite different now, too.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby