Saturday, September 9, 2017

Sophisticated fun

I wrote recently that I am back on Facebook. I told Lynn and myself that I would limit myself to one friend: her.  Well, I didn't do that and I have about 75 friends.  I couldn't help it!  One valuable, dear person after another was suggested as a friend and I kept clicking to ask for a friend connection. I know I haven't included everyone of importance.  I also know that Facebook has about 1 Billion users so they have far more faces and names for me to consider than I have time or energy to look at.  


I have had several chances via their software to "wave" at a friend.  So far, I don't know how to initiate a wave but I have gotten a chance to wave at others who sent me the chance to wave back.  I find it funny that sophisticated software and hardware exists all the way from me to them so that I can click on a little icon so they can see a little icon on their end do a little jiggle.  I realize you can't get much more advanced than simulated waving at a friend. I did watch The Social Network movie about the founding of Facebook.  I have been told by a social media professional that I have no business being on Instagram.  It seems to be for young people, not white-haired ones.  I do use Twitter but about 95% of my use is to make quotes of good parts of whatever I am reading.  


It seems that more of my friends that use Facebook frequently are women.  I have seen already that birthdays, starting to walk, starting to talk, starting school, and many other milestones in life can be noted quickly and yet with impact on Facebook.  I imagine that showing pictures and small shots of faces helps to make the program popular.  Faces are very interesting in themselves.  I have read that no other species communicates so much information so quickly as humans do through their faces.


I read today comments from Mario Livio that the medieval church seems to have given out that everything possible had already been thought of.  I have also read that the US Patent office commissioner advised Congress to close the Patent Office in the late 1800's because it was pretty clear that everything had already been invented.  But, wait!  As some people say, hold on! [It isn't clear to what, exactly]  People, even in my own youth, ok, even in my middle age, did not have electronic waving.  Believe it or not, they had to actually lift their arms and flop their hands back and forth to produce a wave.  Not very sophisticated, huh?


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby