Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Time travel every day

Zen thinkers emphasize one's present.  They like to point out that the past is gone and unchangeable and the future is not here and unknowable.  That is largely true but in a sense, not entirely true.  When we read a history book or think of becoming a grandparent soon, we use our minds to "visit" the past or the future.  In a strong sense, we time travel.  One definition of being old is that the oldster has no future or a very truncated one.


The advice to notice how much time we spend thinking of the past or the future is good advice.  Concentrating on the Now is fun and helpful.  But I noticed a while back whether it is a squirrel burying acorns or a stockbroker investing in his retirement fund, the ability to plan ahead, to see what sort of plan is likely to be of help later on, is important for any animal.  Planning figures greatly in human life.  Further, humans have the ability to remember and at least partially relive their past.  I can remember that the last time I tried an arm drag on this opponent, he charged me and scored a takedown.  So, remembering that, I won't use an arm drag in the rest of this match.


I am respectful of evolution and its products so if I have an ability and a tendency, to think of the past and the future, it may well be that doing so is often helpful.  Old guys rocking on the porch and remembering fine moments in romances and sports back then are using a very good tool for enjoyment. The more I learn about the wide accomplishments of my older friends, the more I see the richness of their lives and the treasures they have in their pasts to revisit.


I was especially pleased when I saw Eric Barker's blog newsletter for this week about using time travel for happiness.  Barker writes a popular blog and emails a summary or a popular post once a week.  Since I had already shown myself that mental and imaginative time travel is not only quite possible for the mind but is essential for the planned and reflective life, I knew when I read the title, what he meant.  The Zen masters are right: we can anchor ourselves in the present at any time and doing so takes us out of regrets and worries.  But the Zen masters are wrong, too: we can slip into the past and the future whenever we want.  Furthermore, doing so the way we do is a big part of what makes us human.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby