Saturday, February 28, 2015

Old men dancing

There are old men in various parts of the country dancing.  They are jubilant.  They have reached an age that doesn't come to everyone.  Some of their buddies died throughout the years from wars, car accidents, heart attacks and whatnot.  This group of men all attended the same all-male high school back in the 50's.  They held a reunion of their class a few years back.


I am one of them and since I hadn't seen the old place in years, I thought it was time to go back for a visit.  I didn't expect to feel much in the way of closeness or camaraderie but I did.  It was surprising how close I felt to those guys.


A couple of nights ago, I got a phone call from one of my classmates in our old homeroom, back more than 50 years ago.  He said he was one of the few who thought another reunion would be fun.  That man is a gentle, strong, balanced person and his personality flowed out of the phone.  It is easy to want to encourage a man like that and I did.  He said,"Give us some encouragement."  I wrote an email to quite of few of the group and urged them to rev up their very considerable talents and again hold a reunion.  I debated being forthright and stating that I had no plans to attend, as I had stated to the caller.  I decided it was silly to urge an event be held while stating I would not attend so I withheld that statement of intent.


Since then, such good spirits, such friendliness has emerged in the written replies that I want to attend any event that is held.  As we all look at the roll of the class and see the many names of those now deceased, our good fortune strikes us.  We are still alive and happy to be so. Some comments have been made about the surprise of reaching our current age, the good luck and talents displayed by the group, our gratitude.


If in your neighborhood, you see an elderly man dancing alone, he too may be taken with the fun of being alive, with his own cleverness at having breathed in and out so many successful breaths.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby