Monday, November 10, 2014

A quick visit to Britain in 1930

At the very top of my blog page, in the left corner is a little search window.  I can use that to try to see what I have already said in my 1,916 posts.  Looks like I didn't write much about Dorothy Sayers.  I knew she was an early woman mystery story writer with her Lord Wimsey series.  I knew she was the author of The Mind of the Maker, an exploration of the comparison of an author and her characters to the mind of God and his charges.


I went to a presentation on Sayers and heard about her life and books.  The group was to have read "Strong Poison" by Sayers before the meeting.  I heard enough there that I was intrigued and began reading the book.  It was fun reading and good writing so I stopped reading it on my own and began reading it aloud to Lynn.  We are 60% through the book.


The language depicted of the 1930 British speakers is clearly different from I am used to but I feel I can understand it.  I like it.  Lord Wimsey uses "frightfully", as in "frightfully good of you, old thing", a bit too much for my taste but it makes for a nice change.  Sayers' description of a party of people often talking past each other, drinking too much in an overheated room, seemed very much like parties today.  I will be found reading further Sayers books in the future.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby