Thursday, January 30, 2014

What I don't get

I don’t get why people don’t meditate.  It is restful and healthy.  It can be done quite satisfactorily in 10 quiet, relaxed minutes a day.  It is supergood for a person and can be done at any age from about 5 to 105.  I have explored all sorts of reasons not to, from “I can’t meditate because I do it wrong” to “I can’t meditate because it is against my religion”.  I haven’t found any reason that holds up.  I haven’t found any part of life that isn’t improved with meditation.


Here is a web page of some of my blog posts that relate to meditation


Many Americans find the idea of meditation to achieve relaxation as the best reason to do so.  If they are leading stressful lives, that may indeed be the best reason.  The first class I ever took in the subject included students who fell asleep as soon as they relaxed.  The teacher advised them to find a way to get more sleep, something that most people can do if they try cleverly enough.


The best thing about meditation for me is that it eliminates fear or at least strongly lessens it.  I am going to die.  I am aging.  I will eventually be forgotten.  All of that and much more is OK.  It is the way of the world and the way of me.  The world sometimes seems as though it is falling apart, going downhill, becoming worse.  It is quite difficult to be sure that any of that or the exact reverse or combinations are happening.  Regardless, it is better to live happily. Meditating and facing myself and my world helps me to like this planet and my existence instead of fearing them.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby