Saturday, December 28, 2013

Moms, authors and all the answers

It has always been a surprise to me that mothers don't seem to know all there is about humans.  I mean it stands to reason.  If you can make one, you must know all about the innards and the workings.  I've never been a mother but I know quite a few and when I ask them questions about the inner workings of a person, they often plead ignorance.  When I think of creators, I also think of authors, just as Dorothy Sayers did.  Her "The Mind of the Maker" was an exploration of the parallel between being an author (she created the Lord Peter Whimsey series, something like Agatha Christie's works) and being God. When I read a good work of fiction, like "Schooled" by Gordon Korman, author of 50 books, I see a smooth creation, a human with a past, present and future.  I find a person with feelings and experiences, so again it just stands to reason that somebody like Mr. Korman or Graeme Simsion ("The Rosie Project") who can create people and furnish them with lives and adventures and feelings and sorrows and triumphs, must know all about them, right?  


Then, I read about authors who drink themselves to death, can't stop gambling, have trouble with the law or debts and I wonder how that can be.  I will continue to explore the question and get back to you when I have some solid answers.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby