Saturday, November 16, 2013

Less realism, please

An expert in the history of writing, Prof.Marc Zender, went out of his way to emphasize that the study of ancient writing and language owes much to line drawing.  He said they are cheaper to create, transmit and print.  I am interested in modern programs and apps that take photos and change them into art.  I wanted to get something that could make just a line drawing with little or no shading from a photo but I couldn't find something that was quick and cheap.  I did find the iPad app "MobileMonet", which is actually made to create a more complex and Impressionist-type version of a photo.  



I realize that sometimes my greatgrandchildren are more attracted to a cartoon movie than one shot with real cameras of real scenes.  Prof. Zender emphasized that line drawings can emphasize something while omitting distracting detail.  The camera can get the exact curve of a line much more accurately than I can.  I imagine that the children take some comfort in watching images that don't seem all that real (and menacing).



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby