Monday, February 25, 2013

Visit dentist, attend school

When I go to the dentist, he studies the situation of my teeth and tries to figure what might lessen pain and improve health.  But when I go to the teacher, he starts telling me things.  Some of those things, I already know.  Some of them, I don't understand what he is talking about.  Some, I learn. It is possible that my teeth are much easier to evaluate than my knowledge, skills and tendencies to be kind, patient and a careful thinker.  

Strangely enough, there are some things I like better about the dentist.  With him, it is easy to get an A.  I just have to brush my teeth and avoid too much candy.  With the teacher, I make a diorama of Christopher Columbus landing in the Caribbean but it contains historical inaccuracies.  I don't have time or impulse to do the whole thing over and the teacher doesn't have time to look over my project again.  He does use a check sheet and he says that next time, he will give us a copy beforehand so we can get our work in better shape before he looks it over.

My parents are pleased when they find out that everybody who goes to our dentist has good dental health and no mouth pain.  But, they said they don't like hearing that all of the kids in my class have high grades on their project.  They frown on my teacher is an easy grader but they seem to approve of my dentist being an easy grader.  I guess it all depends on what the grade means and that is a murky subject.  I only got a B on my diorama but I wrote an essay that my parents, the kids and my teacher all said was eye-opening. 

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby