Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Streams

Having been away for a while, I missed out on checking various streams.  Newspapers, blog posts, tv programs and more.  There is no way to "catch up", just as there is no way for me to live the days that have gone by in Costa Rica since I left that country.  David Weinberger has written "Too Big to Know" and he discusses the internet and all the topics and issues that can be found on it.  But there are other streams in our lives that are also too big to know.  They continue to flow on and we can only sample some of them after the fact and some we can't even do that.

When relatives get together at Christmas, we realize that hours and days, issues and achievements and disappointments have appeared in the lives of others that we didn't know about and weren't around to experience.  These days, there are many other streams: Twitter comments, email, Facebook, new books.  I try to keep an eye on "To The Best of Our Knowledge" and TED Talks.  Both are sources of good information and indicators of what is happening in the world.  I could probably find archives of "To The Best of Our Knowledge" and I can definitely see the 5 or 10 books they have recently talked about.  I can spend an afternoon or more watching TED on my computer or tv, but I have to settle for missing out on some good ones.

I got a iPad-mini for Christmas and I know there are more than a quarter million apps.  I am interested in trying to get to know some of them.  I am interested in something that keeps track of my attention and tells me when it fades or moves.  I have looked through about 500 games and apps but haven't found anything that fits the bill.

TED talks, TTBOOK (To the Best of our Knowledge) interviews and apps are ongoing streams that can be sampled.  They remind me of an orchard where the fruit is steadily growing.  I can wander through and pick some of the best that is ripe.  It would not surprise me to find that I missed something that was delicious.  There are just too many streams, too many orchards for a complete harvest.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby