Sunday, November 18, 2012

Reporting

If I were a frontline warrior, I would be sending dispatches from there.  As it is, I am a backline householder and am reporting from way back in civilian land, away from the dangers.  Here is what I have to report:

Today's Writer's Almanac page includes a good poem by George Bilgere, a poet I like.  You might like him, too.  It also includes a moving statement by Queen Elizabeth the First, made near the end of her 45 year reign.  

The quote from a writer changes each time the page is accessed and I wanted to report the one that came up when I looked at the page:

"Writing is like getting married. One should never commit oneself until one is amazed at one's luck."

—Iris Murdoch


I do feel very lucky to have found the wife I have and especially so since yesterday afternoon.  My marriage was not in jeopardy then but a symbol of it, my own wedding ring, had been missing.  I have been wearing that ring for more than 50 years.  (You wouldn't want it since it is misshapen from where I put a blowtorch to it.  About 1963, I had a little accident with mercury and got it all over my ring.  I had heard that mercury is bad for gold and read that I should heat the gold to 475° and the mercury would vaporize.  As I was wondering if the ring had reached that temperature, its side began to melt.)  I definitely felt something was wrong with a bare left ring finger.  I was shocked to find it wasn't on my hand and looked all over trying to figure out what had happened.  I must have taken it off to avoid getting it all gooey and put in on my dresser.  Shutting the sweater drawer, I must have rocked the furniture enough to make it tumble unnoticed into the drawer soundlessly falling onto a sweater.

I get shared jokes, videos and whatnot, some very good and some not.  I realize that as I look at enough stuff, I am going to find that I wish I had a catalog of what I've gotten because sometime I am going to want to find something again.  Often, a collection of slides or pictures or a video is a large file and I delete it to keep my mailbox from getting too big.  This is the latest thing that seemed pretty good.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby