Monday, May 21, 2012

Google Chrome and Chrome apps

Many of my friends dislike Wal-Mart but I read "The Wal-Mart Effect" by Charles Fishman and came away thinking the company does many good things.  Besides, that store is closer to my house than any other and it saves expensive gas to shop there.  Similarly, many of my computer friends don't like Google: too powerful, too sneaky, too likely to record everything I do.

Again, I feel differently.  Google has provided me with several blogs and more than 1000 free blog posts.  I use its email "Gmail" many times a day.  Of course, I use the Google search engine all the time and have pounded into my head the idea that every puzzle and difficulty should be checked in Google Search to see what comes up.  Quite often, my puzzle is solved after reading just a few of the entries.  I like the Firefox browser and use it as my main one, even though the Microsoft browser, Internet Explorer (the blue "e") has gotten steadily good reviews about its security and usefulness.  

I realize that with Google Docs (now Google Drive) and its free word-processing, spreadsheets and drawing, I need the usual parts and programs on a computer rarely.  However, since Google operates on web pages, it made sense for Google to create its own browser, called Chrome.  I don't know much about just what a browser actually does but I can see that the options available are contingent on how the program was written.

With the advent of cloud drives, where my files are saved somewhere out in "the clouds" of the internet and the related web-based tools such as Google Docs, what is actually needed on a computer to do what I want is quite minimal.  Google realized that and has the new sort of computer called a "Chromebook".  The hugely successful iPad is a similar device in that it doesn't need much memory, although there are probably important differences for the user between the Google design and the Apple design.

Chromebooks are run by the "Android" operating system, a version of which runs many smartphones.  Making use of the open or semi-open approach that resulted in hundreds of thousands of extensions and little program additions and modifications called "apps" (from "application", a common word for what I learned to call a program), Google-Android also has apps.  Looking through the app store for both Firefox and Chrome, I looked for something that might actually enhance what I want from my computing.

I found "Google Similar Pages", which is free and in "beta" or still-experimental form.  I used that app to go to the page of each of the blogs I follow on my main blog page and let Google Similar Pages find similar pages.  Sometimes it couldn't find any similar pages but I found and bookmarked several, too many actually to pay steady attention to but still of interest.  Here is a web page of the links I found interesting:

http://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/google-similar-pages-found



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby