Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The tribes we have

Jesus said that I should love my neighbor as myself and I think he is right.  I do love my neighbor and I do love myself.  Of course, my neighbor is very much like me and if he weren't, I would move.  My neighbor and I are both in the same tribe, my tribe, our tribe, THE tribe.  John Ciardi (1916-1986) wrote about MY tribe and Your tribe quite a while ago:

My Tribe

Everyone in my tribe hates everyone in your tribe.


Every girl in my tribe wants to be there when we bring in anyone from your tribe. Our girls save faggots in their hope chests for you.


Every boy in my tribe has a peg from which to hang the scalp of anyone in your tribe. Our boys hone knives in their dreams of you.


Everyone in my tribe is proud of our boys and their dreams, our girls and their trousseaus.

Our lives have dear goals across which we will all finally kick all of your heads.  We are united.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby