Thursday, March 22, 2012

Friends' comments

Most days, most readers of this blog don't comment on it.  I realize that they are often too busy to do so or maybe just not interested the day's post or anything to do with the blog.  However, out of 60 some people who get the posts by email, one or two or so readers do sometimes reply with a comment.

Comments often take my thinking in a direction I would not have thought of without help.  I mentioned the other day how a comment on the word "emergence" reminded me of books I have read on the subject and got me to check whether they are now available in Kindle format.  I bought one and started re-reading it.  I didn't understand it on the first time through but I think I am doing a little better this time.  The comment moved me to purchase a book, think about a 2nd one, re-read the book and be impressed with the writing, the imagination and the high spirits of the writer.  I also checked on other books by the same author and bought one of those, too.  All from a single comment.

Some of my friends comment from time to time that they are worried about their religious faith.  As people age, they may question all sorts of beliefs they have held for decades and doubting such long-held beliefs can be disorienting, frightening or upsetting.  A friend wrote that she isn't as firm in her beliefs:

My desire/wish is for a quiet, peaceful passing on to whatever.  My belief in heaven or the afterlife is not as strong as it once was.  Yet I hope to feel that strong faith again.  It was so ----- cann't think of a word to describe it.  The feeling, the peace, the satisfaction of knowing, believing of peace.

It is possible to concentrate on having faith without getting into an internal argument about past events and the details.

Another friend commented that the idea of emergence reminded her of "Horton Hears a Who" and the ability the tiny Whos had, once unified and aroused.  My older great-granddaughter recently saw a college production of "Seussical the Musical" and was completely enchanted.  I have never seen the show but she listens to the sound track several times a day, as often as her parents can stand.  The Horton comment combined with the musical interest and I spent a while tussling with iTunes and my iPod downloading the album.  Then, I went to the library and got a copy of Horton and some books on using the iPod more efficiently.

So if you see me driving around or shopping, it may just be a combination of my ideas and your responses that have me in their grip.
--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby