Sunday, November 7, 2010

Quadruple!

Our days are flying by and I know our time is running low.  There are so many books I haven't read and friends keeping telling me about others.  Lynn is encouraging us to try to develop more flexible minds.  We have two eyes and two ears.  Instead of panicking at how much is left to be consumed and mastered before our final breath, why not learn to read two books at once, one with each eye?  Perhaps, we could learn at the same time, to listen to two different audiobooks simultaneously, one with each ear.  Doing that would give us four times the consumption/digestion of good stuff before our end!  Four times!

Lynn's library science instructor said to read book reviews to find only the better books to read.  That sounds good but I'm doubtful that it will help much.  For one thing, I would rather read something fun or valuable than reviews.  Besides, I keep finding that what turns me on is not what turns others on.  I have to find my quality stuff on my own.  My tastes are too particular, too eccentric, even.  I don't have records but my impression is that there is about a 2/3 chance that a book or movie that is popular will not be to my taste.  Along the same problem, much of what brightens my day is boring, trivial or obscure to others.  The other day, a friend wrote 
How to count with your fingers in different cultures is a plot point in the movie Inglourious Basterds. A spy blows his cover by getting it wrong.
He made his point and served it up with an explanation so neatly and cleanly that the comment seemed like poetry to my ear.  I write enough that certain writing simply brightens my day.  But so far, no system of data mining or recommendations really helps me find good stuff regularly.  I will just have to keep searching.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby