Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saint Ralph

We are fans of AARP's Movies for Grownups.  We use the feature to select movies for ourselves. We are a generation that began attending movies in theaters as children and still enjoy the intimacy of a good movie together, one that transports us to an interesting place, drops us into a problem situation, stresses us and then brings everything to a satisfying conclusion in less than 2 hours.   These three and four hour jobs are less attractive although we are not above stopping halfway through something we actually want to see and scene-selecting our way to that point on the next evening.

Our most recent movie was "Saint Ralph".  It was very enjoyable and I recommend it.  From the write-up, I was doubtful about how much I would like it.  Youthful striving, older realism, open-eyed advance on problems that bug or frighten us - these are just the things to entertain and fortify us for a couple of weeks.  

I am often surprised at how completely I can forget a movie until I see its title.  Then, it comes back to me.  As I look over what we have recently watched, I remember how much I got from "Return to Me", which I had forgotten about.  I did recall "A Rather English Marriage", which was a good example of being taken into an interesting situation in a setting I would not have otherwise been able to visit.

As we age, it is apparent that sex, attraction, spies and bank holdups are not really part of our lives.  Medicare, investment returns and reading obituaries are the real grown-up topics so we find that the label "Adults only" signifies something for youngsters, not us.  We are working on a script for Sean O'Connery, who just turned 80 but still has ardent fans worldwide.  We picture some intelligent and clear-thinking babe about the same age having a smooch with Sean.  Then, the couple retires to separate bedrooms.  He is gassy and she snores and they need their privacy.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby