Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Using a static mind in a dynamic world

I mean by "static" something that is or tries to be still, unchanging.  I mean by "dynamic" something that evolves, or at least, changes over time.  A while back, I was alerted by writings that business and organizational theorists were trying to grasp what makes an organization able to revise, update and modernize itself.  Anyone writing a constitution or set of by-laws for an organization faces the question of succession,  how the officers be replaced when they retire, die or move on to other things.  It is likely that the question of modifications needed to the by-laws themselves will come up, too.  How will amendments to the constitution be created? 



My body and I are actually an organization, too.  I have heard that we are organized in such a way that new cells are created steadily and put in place of aging ones.  But I suspect my thinking more or less assumes a static world.  I meet a 2 year old child and then am taken with how that person has grown when I see her 6 months later.  My brain seems to expect the person to stay the same.  I expect me to stay the same but the mirror tells me I am changing all the time.



I guess living where the seasons really show themselves helps me stay aware of the changing world.  Using the same term for this spring and last spring, though, lulls me into believing they are the same or negligibly different.  Actually, each spring is its own and does not duplicate any other.  I do spot and recognize similar cycles in lives, administrations, stories, versions of Microsoft operating systems.  I rely on the similarities to make it easy to live in this dynamic world.  But I try focusing on seeing the changes to stay alert to the ongoing flow of events, harvests, creations and blendings.  My license plate says "VERSION".

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby