Saturday, May 1, 2010

brain programs are not all the same

Recently there was a report that brain games don't improve the brain.  Since Lynn and I did the 40 day intensive Brain Fitness Program and liked it, I looked up the report and read it.  I concluded that they had worked with other, cheaper programs, those that were not based on much science.  Posit Science, the makers of the BFP include many scientists, and they work hard at producing something that does make a difference.  Most of their work I have read about had to do with assisting older people keep or regain their faculties.  They have two basic programs, one related to hearing and speech and one related to vision and driving a car.  

Some insurance companies have looked at their data, conducted their own tests and decided the programs make a difference in the safety of their customers and in their claims rate.  Included are auto insurers and long-term care insurers trying to keep customers healthier longer.  Because brain power is an important variable in human life and happiness, I explored the company's blog.  I found a link to a short, worthwhile video by Bobby McFerrin at a science symposium.  He has a demo of the human brain's general understanding of music, an increasingly important part of brain science and its applications.

I now follow about 25 blogs on my own blog site.  I plan to add the Posit Science blog but I am running into the same problem I have with books, music, movies and food.  There are too many good choices.  I am going to have to drop some to maintain readability and usefulness on the site.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby