Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Husband is the Head of the Wife

The husband is the head of the wife -That is what it says in Ephesians 5:23.  I am not entirely sure that Paul knew just what he was talking about.  I suppose it is ok if the husband is the head of the wife, whatever that might mean exactly, so long as the wife is the head of the husband.  Maybe in the long run, it is better if two heads are used and both respected.
 
I have heard statements that the Muslim world or any other human world will not do very well until it recognizes the value and strength of women, who amount to more than half of the population over time, since they live longer at all ages.  I am a man and I like to have women do what I tell them to but I often tell them to use their own judgment.  Sometimes, I tell them something but they don’t seem to hear me.
 
The older I get, the more I understand how rarely I know what is best for anything or anyone, including myself.  Most of the time, I feel that I know what is best for me better than anyone else does.  There are times, however, when I order roast beef and my wife advises me to order the fish instead since the last time I had beef. I said I didn’t like it.  I am not sure she remembers accurately and sometimes I know for sure she doesn’t.  So, I order the roast beef but I don’t like it.  Then, I order the fish and I do like it. 
 
I am wonder if my wifey whispers suggestions in my ear while I am sleeping so that I can’t have confidence in my tendencies if they are in opposition to hers.  I doubt it.  I tend to awaken easily and I am not that good at adopting suggestions.  Besides, I tried whispering into her ear but it didn’t have any effect.
 
I respect my wife’s intelligence, her memory and her intuition.  There have been enough times when she makes some pronouncement out of the blue, such as “It is going to snow today” and I disagree.  I point to the blue sky, the weather report and ask where she got such a silly idea.  Then, 30 minutes later, it is snowing. 
 
Our minds and personalities differ.  We very often have different opinions and reactions.  Someone said recently if two people always agree, one of them is superfluous.  We are into our 50th year of marriage and we have found that we often think differently.  I often enjoy her take on colors, plans, and experiences and I always count on her brains and observations.
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby