Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Favorite foods

Favorites foods change over time.  I used to like Cheerios when I was little.  Now, not so much.  I like salsa but only medium not blastingly hot.  I like it for breakfast.  I have been having indigestion ever since I took one of our doctor’s advice to take three capsules of fish oil daily.  I use frozen capsules and that helps and I usually take only one or two during a day.
 
We like skim milk and only drink that kind.  We like whole wheat bread and we prefer bread with low sugar and low salt.  We use real butter but for breakfast, I put a small amount of olive oil on my toast, attempting to meet Walter Willett’s recommendation for some vegetable oil each day. The glycemic index bit, how fast a food is digested, has been helpful in steering us away from whites: flour, rice and potatoes.  It does help our battle to keep our blood sugar low to eat whole grains and sweet potatoes.
 
We have oatmeal for breakfast once a week.  We only cook the old-fashioned kind and it is ready in about 8 minutes.  We include a cup of frozen blueberries, a banana, raisins and walnuts.
 
About our safest lunch out is at Subway's.  Their bread is called "wheat" but it is like many others.  It contains some whole wheat but also some white flour.  The vegetables including spinach that they add to the sandwich helps make it last and have lower calories.
 
I like to cook a ham and a turkey every so often.  Two servings of the meat in a sandwich plastic bag can be frozen and thawed when needed for lunch.  Milk, fruit and half a cookie or a small bit of dark chocolate round out a lunch.  Once in a while, we will have sardines or smoked oysters or sandwiches of homemade tuna salad with celery and chopped dill pickles.  I think it is mandatory to have cayenne pepper on tuna but Lynn doesn’t.
 
We use our George Foreman grill for pork or steak for dinner.  One of my favorites for dinner is fresh salmon, painted with a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice, with a little dried mustard.  The mustard allows the oil and water to mix smoothly and stay that way.  Sprinkle lots of dill on it and it is ready in 4 minutes.  A pound gives us leftovers to use in a later breakfast, lunch or dinner.
 
 
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby