Friday, September 4, 2009

Definitions

A famous American was asked about recent sexual relations and replied, “Depends on what you mean by ‘sex’.” I often think of that statement. I could say I am wealthy or that I am a Martian and the truth of those statements depends, in part, on the meaning of ‘wealthy’ and ‘Martian’. When you come to think of it, our use of language depends very much of the meaning of the words we use.
One important function of thinking, analysis and philosophy is to examine definitions. It can be surprisingly helpful to consider what we mean by a given word. Sometimes, we discover that your use and mine differ in ways that increase the chance of miscommunication. Sometimes, we find the need to stop using a word in a given way or to invent a new word. An excellent but difficult article in the Wikipedia explains the terms that have traditionally been used in discussing definitions, plus many other aspects of the subject of definitions.
The initial reaction to the subject of definitions is usually a big yawn but over time, its importance tends to show. An experience or two where a discrepancy of definition explains conflict or confusion helps the subject get respect.
Many philosophers of the 1900’s and since have been alert to problems and possibilities of definitions. My beloved author, Jacques Barzun, wrote in “Science: The Glorious Entertainment” that so many new terms, actions, ideas and substances were being developed that we are running low on terminology. He wrote that in 1964 and the world hadn’t seen nuthin’ yet.
Just go to a site to check domain names for internet use and see if your name, favorite brand, etc. are taken. It can be surprising what is already defined somewhere by somebody.
I became interested in this subject for posting when I listened to my friend discuss the old idea from previous centuries that real wealth = gold. I was wrestling with question of what is wealth. Then, I heard him quote Adam Smith about “whatever we have occasion to use.” I realized that trying to pin down what it is that we want is a waste of time. In 1990, I didn’t know I wanted to have a blog because they weren't invented yet. I realized that some woman’s answer to the question “What do women want?” was a good one when she said that women want whatever is worth having.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby