Saturday, August 15, 2009

Guest author today: Mozart

 Lynn Kirby, PhD, is my wife and an experienced musician and lover of music.
 
Bill
==============================================
 I am currently listening to a series of lessons on the life and music of Mozart. Did you know that this gifted person wrote his first piece of music when he was 5? His music was catalogued in chronological order by Koeche; this particular piece was K.1  They played a bit of it in the lesson, and I realized that I had had that piece in piano lessons when I was in high school. I went and found my book, and there it was. I can't play it well at all anymore, but I am going to re-learn it. It amazes me that this piece that has one sharp and several triplets and trills in it was written by a 5-year-old. And I believe he could play it flawlessly.
 
Somehow, knowing a bit of the history of that piece of music makes me feel very attached to the past in a strange sort of way. There have been times when I've listened to Mozart's clarinet quartet that I could imagine myself in the King's court, sitting there and listening completely peacefully, with nothing pressing calling me away. But the feelings I get from this little minuet are much stronger. Not only am I attached to the music by that little boy, but it also brings back my own younger me.
 
Lynn

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby